Monday, November 24, 2008

Goaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll!

Would ya look at that:



But, my work here isn't done. I'm about halfway done with the story and it's pretty good. I know, I'm biased, but usually I don't like my own stuff. It's not 'perfect'. Something I'm thinking at the moment is, do I really need to finish the book? I mean, I hit goal, plus, I already know how it'll end. Why bother, in that case? There's yarn to knit, you know.

It's cute, being about the Oregon Trail and all, and my husband knows the lay of the land in Wyoming. He'll ask me every so often, "Are they at Ft. Laramie, yet?" They're getting close, about 60 miles west of Chimney Rock.

The whole thing with National Novel in a Month is a person is supposed to be writing like a fiend with NO editing. Right. That's like telling me to go to a yarn store but NO buying yarn. Whatever. Usually, I'd edit the prior couple of pages, then continue with the flow. I do know the novel will need editing to get rid of echos. It's when the author has used the same word several times in a paragraph.

Example:
Taking his dishes, she looked at him in surprise. He didn’t inform her of his whereabouts often. Bethie indicated the dishes in her hand, “Very well. Mostly likely, I’ll be here or washing something.” He gave a little wave as she watched him walk away. Once Daggart was out of site, she put the washing up in the larger pail to take to the river.


In this paragraph, I'll have to change a 'dishes' and a 'washing'. They'll bug me otherwise.

So, anyway, I have to brag about hitting 50,000. This is my third year and not only did I write more than half the month, I wrote above 7000, beating last year's word count. :D

2 comments:

ChelleC said...

It's wonderful to see you so happy doing your writing, and meeting your goals. Congrats!

Susan said...

Congratulations! Do we get to read what you wrote?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race