Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Decisions, knitting, and the last of the tooth stuff

This is what I wish our kitchen and laundry room looked like, only with black appliances. Such loveliness. We're probably going with tile in the laundry and bathrooms, Hubs wants wood floors in the dining room and I'm fighting him on that, since the room already has a lot of wood in it. He also would like wood floors all through the kitchen and most of the main floor, but then, carpet IS warm, and newer carpet would be easier to clean. We've been budgeting for a while, so now we just need to make some decisions. Maybe I'll go to Home Depot and Lowes today, just to look at samples. Although, I've looked at so much and at so many magazines, my eyes are crossed. The library at Weston was giving away their KC Homes magazines, plus some other home ones, and I've already torn out what I like from there. I should just combine the clippings, look at the resources, and be done with it.
Maybe for the countertops? I don't know. Everyone at knit group the week before liked this with the colors already in the house. The paint colors stay the same, no changing. I'm not redoing what I've already done. Bleh.

Here's a non-scanned picture of the slate. I like it, but not the border shown. Right now, I want the big tiles for the floor and/or the little tiles for the backsplash. The only thing is they're real slate and will have to be sealed. Plus, I'm not so sure I can do it myself. I'll have to tell my beloved to pay the man already and leave me out of the tile thing.

Here's all our samples scanned in. The scanner's fluorecent light makes everything a bit yellowish. The yellow paint sample is really a warm creamy color. It's the base color for everything and isn't going to change. Everything else is totally up in the air. The nice thing is, all our cabinetry is great, the appliances are super, and I have the paint already. The kitchen is just getting a facelift with the counters, floors, and backsplash. Hubby has a handyman friend we're having help out with it. There's also the basement troubles, molding sheetrock from prior termite feasts, that needs fixing. Since it IS in the basement, next to the bar, I don't think anyone will be sober enough to know we did it ourselves. Ha!

Aren't these pretty?! They're clean, too, and I'm wearing them to the class I'm teaching tonight. I'm such a showoff, but hey, they're DONE! Yay! I can't blog about other things, because they're Christmas presents. Some of my family reads this, so... I can't wait to show off what I've done for them, though. The items are turning out better than I'd expected. :D

We went to Hub's parents over the weekend and had fun hanging out with them. Then, yesterday, I had the dental appointment. I didn't scream OR cry, better than the last time, for sure. Only three shots, too. Last time, my jaw muscles hurt, this time, it's my neck. Ah well, ibuprophen is my friend.

48 Things You Could Care Less About
1. FIRST NAME? Laura
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? I don't think so, Mom just liked the name. So do I, for that matter.
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? Last week after the dentist, but it wasn't a cry, but leaky eyes.
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? I would if I could read it. Shoulda been a doctor.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? Ham.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Ha! Have you seen my yarn stash? I'd love me and hang out over here all the time, trying to con the yarn away. Seriously, though, I'd be my friend because I'd know while I'm non-intrusive to the point of being neglectful, I also would never intentionally say something to cause a moment of hurt feelings. It takes a lot of poking to make me mean, and even then, I'll feel bad about it if I retaliate.
7. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? This is it! See the handwriting thing above.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes! Mom fought the doc and the Mom won.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Ha! No. This is as good as it gets.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Grape Nuts.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Nope!
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? I do, right up until needles are involved. Then I sprout feathers and turn into a chicken.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Right now, I'm craving Pumpkin. Otherwise, I love anything with crunchies or fruits in it. Butter brickle, peanut butter crunch, black cherry, all those. I never turn away ice cream, which explains why my clothes are shrinking.
14. SHOE SIZE? 7
5. RED OR PINK? Red
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I talk too much. I hate that.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My grandparents and uncles. Everyone else is a phone call away.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Um, how about just post your own answers on your own blog. The blogless are free to email and I'll post here, if you like. :P
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS, SHIRT AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? What I wore to bed last night, grey shirt, black gauchos, white socks.
20. LAST THING YOU ATE? A chocolate chip last night as a reward for finishing a row.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? The space heater and computer fan hums.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Supposedly, Sky Blue, but I think their test is flawed.
23. FAVORITE SMELL? My daughter's hair.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Yikes! The librarian helping with my Nov 2nd class.
25. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? Their smell.
26. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON you stole THIS from? Of course. Even though I never win her contests and am highly bitter about it, she's still pretty cool and a brilliant photographer.
27. FAVORITE DRINK? Diet Pepsi.
28. FAVORITE SPORT? I don't know. :P Never thought about it, really.
29. EYE COLOR? Greenish brown.
30. HAT SIZE? No idea.
31. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Of course I do. Have since 1979.
32. FAVORITE FOOD? Mexican, seafood, Chinese, Italian, in that order. I love American foods, but love the exotics, too.
33. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings all the way.
35. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer.
36. HUGS OR KISSES? Lots of both. Even if they're only Hershey's.
37. FAVORITE DESSERT? Tiramisu cheesecake.
38. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? I dunno.
39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? More I dunno.
40. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? Retarded, easy to walk away from ones, like, Scandinavian Phrasebook, Cool Careers for Dummies, A Gathering of Lace (probably overdue at the library), Make Your House Clean Itself.
41. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE Pad? A wrist rest and what looks like a smudge of chocolate.
42. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? My Family on DVD, Law & Order CI and SVU, news, last half of a South Park.
43. FAVORITE SOUNDS? The front door opening with a crash, things being tossed on the floor, and a "Hi Mom!" from a starving Fry. That, and the garage door opening, then the laundry and kitchen doors, and a "Hello!" from 'the man'.
44. ROLLING STONE OR BEATLES? Beatles, even though the Stones are pretty cool.
45. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? Rome, Italy.
46. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? My ability to write long blog posts about nothing.
47. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Oklahoma
48. WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? No one, I stole it from January One.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh your kitchen is going to be beautiful. So many choices out there, it must be somewhat overwhelming but also lots of fun!

Glad the tooth thing went better this time. Makes me shiver to even think about it.

I love your new socks! And hey, they're clean, even *G*

Camie Vog said...

I love the fact that you scanned your feet to show us the socks!

ChelleC said...

Love the samples. I agree that the border on the tile is -- nah. But I love everything else and you will have a beautifully revamped kitchen. You'll have to have the knitting group over for coffee when it's done. (hint, hint)

ChelleC said...

So sorry I opened my big mouth today about Herbie!

Slow and Steady Wins the Race